Thursday, January 31, 2013

Website of Emerald City Comic Con has been hacked.

You may or may not have heard, but the website for the Emerald City Comic Con had been hacked.  They have currently redirected their old site to their Facebook page.  (I'm using the term hackers for people who break into improperly secured websites.  I know that it can cover a lot more than that but I'm being rather general for this post.)

What is scary is that the hackers actually went through the trouble to delete the back up files.  That is just scary.  It's a shame that if someone takes advantage of a flaw, they will go through the trouble to do as much damage as possible.

I can't find it, but I read an article a while back about someone who got their personal account hacked and everything erased.  Somehow the victim got a line of communication established with the hacker and for all intents it was just a "kid" who was being destructive because they didn't know the consequences.

It's something that I've noticed with inmates.  A portion of them either don't think about their actions or they actually have no sympathy for their victims.  For some this will change over time, for others it won't.  (The rest seem to fall under the "altered mental status" category but I won't talk about that today.)

Nothing is 100% foolproof.  I know a lot of hackers have the concept that websites "must be taught a lesson" if they don't have their stuff properly done.  Not everyone is going to catch every mistake, and that is not a reason to "punish" them.


No comments:

Post a Comment